What He Said...
I started reading a great *newish* blog. Glenn Greenwald is putting it down for progressive, White liberals (not clear to if he is entirely a "progressive liberal). I'm cheered to hear someone express things from a factual, legal point of view with passion and conviction. I don't have a lot of time after I do my other money-making dances to post on this blog, so once again, I'm going to cannibalize one of my posts in response to his excellent NSA post today. Again, I think corruption in Washington is off the chain and the only real way to effectuate change is by mobilizing people in their home states and local communities. Unless and until Dems figure that out, we're all fucked. For that matter, where is that crazy-assed Green Party? I was counting on them to keep it real and not get intimidated by the Vichy Democrats (my favorite new phrase, thanks anonymous poster for this excellent descriptive, I'm using it from here on out!). My posts are, and will continue to be emotional, (hopefully) rational responses to what I see going on out there. I've got a lot of shit to swim through as a woman of color in the entertainment industry and I've seen more than my cloistered ivory tower background prepared me for, and I love it.
I say all of this because if there are new readers to this blog, please leave your knee-jerk comments in your mouth. I'm not interested. I do like comments that address my posts factually or cogently, or that may help me expose something I'm blind to in my own paradigm. Anyway, I've got a book to write, so I'll be seeing you folks in the funny papers. Enjoy.
I say all of this because if there are new readers to this blog, please leave your knee-jerk comments in your mouth. I'm not interested. I do like comments that address my posts factually or cogently, or that may help me expose something I'm blind to in my own paradigm. Anyway, I've got a book to write, so I'll be seeing you folks in the funny papers. Enjoy.
I only recently started reading your excellent blog, Glenn. I grew up deep in conservative religious republican country (Oregon), and I have to say, these people are not protecting core Republican values. As a woman of color, I register independent because I have seen a complete breakdown in Republican and Democratic values. The two parties are chasing one another to the right, largely because the Church (under various denominations) has been an effective organizer and moral lightening rod in these relativistic inclusive times. From my perspective, the most effective way to galvanize people to action is to reiterate the principles in the Constitution itself. The Republican party has been able to rally people around the concept of Patriotism, and most of Bush's core don't analyze the manner in which this patriotism is being practiced. It's the bible cloaked in the flag, and Democrats haven't been successful in mobilizing their own religious leaders nor in calling Republicans to the carpet for this intermingling of church and state.
As non-Republican progressives, liberals or conservative democrats (and moderate Republicans for that matter) it's urgent that we call cultural icons out in support of these values which we all share as Americans. This isn't really a party issue, and to frame it as such reduces it to the same dynamics which thus far have led to Bush's victories-by-default. I say call out everyone -- Intelligence committee members, educators, prominent artists, athletes (remember Ali during the draft?), religious leaders, mothers, fathers, teenagers, young adults (MTV, anyone?), advertisers. The advantage of the blogosphere is it's reach into every facet of life. If every blogger sat down and thought about the leaders in his or her industry, the tastemakers, and forwarded a cogently stated argument about why constitutional principles are good for our American Democracy, and this were followed up with a few willing religious leaders who opened the floor to discussions of accountability, integrity, and personal responsibility and then the press continued to problematize everything (good, bad and ugly because that is precisely what makes for a strong democracy), then I think we can capitalize on and focus public opinion.
I disagree with posters who counter your statistics on Bush/wiretapping legality -- it's not relevant to the discussion of whether or not we, as Americans, believe in the idea of "liberty" at all costs -- even our liberty and freedom to pursue our interests free of government scrutiny.
Focusing on people in Washington doesn't really work. That's been the issue for Democrats from the beginning. When Senators and their campaign managers on the ground begin to the feel the heat with their home base, then like cannons on a battleship, they swivel and take aim at the problem. Opinion articles published in local papers in the so-called "Red States" that de-polarize the issue and make it about basic American values and focus our attention on corruption in politics, corporate influence on the executive structure (because, let's face it, Cheney's makeover of the executive branch brings it in line with corporate management practices minus the board of directors), and the fact that most Americans are not doing appreciably better, and in fact, can look forward to doing appreciably worse (look at interest rates on savings and bonds)would be the most effective way to open a foothold for local candidates to challenge the GOP status quo. Local races are won locally (duh). Having participated in local political races for federal office, candidates are always forced to deal with issues that are raised by local opinion makers, civic leaders and community members. If Senators or their staffers hold town hall meetings, these issues need to be raised -- what are you, Senator, doing to protect my 1st and 4th amendment rights? I'm scared of Al Qaeda but I don't want to wake up and find out the FBI is at my door because my internet connection was hijacked, or my kid had to do a paper on the middle east.
I think the GOP did an excellent job last time of making federal elections locally relevant and until and unless the democrats find a way to do that, to involve average voters in discussions about what they want their country to be about, how they interpret their rights and freedoms, then it's status quo. Their is no real justice as long as people believe they can preserve social peace. That's a lesson that has been pounded home for people of color in this country. So, on-the-spot townhalls and church-led discussions about these principles may stir up that social peace enough for folks to reach for Justice, Liberty and the American Way....


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home